Wednesday 3 October 2012

A Slightly Different Life

ALICE HERE:
Okay, so this is my first post, and I will (hopefully) make it short! But who knows, I have a tendency to waffle on a bit! I have given this the title, "A slightly different life" because that's a fact that I have had to get used to after being a PK these many years gone by. You have to come to terms with the fact that we grow up differently, we do things differently. Note: differently does not explicitly mean worse, but it does (and you will probably kill me now) sometimes mean better!

Negatives (of course this is all subjective, some of us may enjoy the torments that I list below)
  • Embarrassing Fathers are revealed to the whole universe ie. the whole church congregation (and mine cycled in to church down the aisle and then preached in his lycra!)
  • The lack of Sunday as a rest day! It's pretty hard to rest as a PK on a Sunday, with guests over, probably rushing homework for the next day and attending every single christian activity humanly possible.
  • It is really difficult to maintain a solid spiritual life. Nobody's walk with God is perfect but for us, it often feels like lots is expected of you, like you are never expected to go wobbly. This sucks, completely! Because, when you do go down the drain you "must" ask your pastor for help....wooooo!!!!! visit dad and tell him your life story (NO WAY IS THIS HAPPENING!) Also, it is hard to be convicted from your own Father's sermons especially.
HOW TO COPE: not that I am a genius, and I welcome all suggestions as to how to cope, I have a few tips
1) make sure your faith is between you and God, not you, your parents, and God. What I mean by this is that it is your faith, do your own quiet time, grow individually by God's grace, after all he saves us not because of our parents. 
2) Get a christian friend your age! Ideally a PK. Myself (Alice) and Fiona can be rented if you just drop by an email. Talk about life and share your own spiritual pains and joys. 
3) find an older Christian you trust. I have a pastoral worker who I couldn't live without (for example) and meet up regularly and be honest. (and Fiona has Ali + various Old Women)

Positives (because we all need some encouragement!)
God IS good and He is God. He placed us where we are now for a reason and many of us have come to faith through our parents and church, and so He has been good to us in this way. Parents are after all, just people trying to learn how to parent on the go. Talk to them! and embarrass them back!

God bless, Alice :Dx

1 comment:

  1. Well seeing as Frizzy here has already advertised my services as a Christian friend...but yeah I agree it's invaluable to have someone there to challenge you, send you bible quotes, ring you up and spill a million cans of beans...xx

    ReplyDelete